GUTE FAHRT Forum > Technik > Sonstige technische Probleme

Antwort

Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 22.01.2014, 11:25
sam1203
Gast

Standard How to make my 2001 Jetta TDI (diesel) car start in the cold weather?

I have a 2001 VW Jetta TDI. I've had it for about 3 years, and as far as I know, it doesn't have a block heater. The battery is brand new as of last winter. I've never had a problem starting it in the cold winter, until this year. Granted, this winter has been much colder than the past couple years (up to -40). I'm just wondering what my best option is for a better start, especially since I currently live in an apartment and it's not easy to plug in.

My first problem was a couple weeks ago. I hadn't driven it in about a month and it was extremely cold during that time (-40). The car wouldn't start, but after a boost off my boyfriend's car, it started fine and I didn't have any problems until tonight.

Tonight (-27*C / -16*F) my car wouldn't start again. I had it running yesterday with no problem, and it was only a few degrees warmer.

I've done a lot of reading online and I understand that in these cold temperatures the batteries lose a high percentage of power, making it difficult to start the car.

Would it be worth it for me to buy a battery booster pack? Something I can boost the battery with when this happens? (instead of having to rely on getting a boost from another vehicle). Is this safe for the battery? It won't damage it if I have to do this a couple times a week?

Or could the problem be in the glow plugs? I've never had an issue starting the car before, but I don't recall replacing the glow plugs in the 3 years I've had the car. (not sure how often they should be replaced?)

Or would really the best option be to install a block heater and figure out a way to plug my car in at my apartment? (this is difficult because I would have to park in the visitor parking and buy an extremely long extension cord to go from my 6th floor apartment down to the parking lot)

Or is a battery warmer another good option? This also requires plugging in, but I'm thinking it may be cheaper than buying and installing a block heater, and if the problem is just that the battery is cold, this could be an easy fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Alt 06.02.2014, 10:04
Marv_P
Gast

Standard

I see your problem! I don´t think there is a lot you can do. Of course, you can try different things, but you can´t be sure they helped. You can try the battery and it might work...hard to tell. I assume you use Winter-Diesel? In my experience diesel cars have always their difficulties with extreme cold weather.
Alt 21.08.2014, 14:13
heugier heugier ist offline
Neuer Benutzer

Standard

I don´t understand everything, but on this Homepage can you find some manuals for your car.

Lesezeichen

Themen-Optionen
Ansicht